Thursday, 15 September 2016
Zubiri to Pamplona
I secured a couple of beds in Pamplona via booking.com the night before, so no bed race - Yeah! We left at 8:15am; we crossed back over the Puente de la Rabia. It's a medieval bridge that crosses the Rio Arga. It's named Rabia because of the legend that any animal led 3 times around the central arch would be cured of rabies. It's also most likely a site of a former leprosarium. We climbed up a concrete path past the Magna Magnesitas Navarras industrial complex. Brierley says it's bleak. I say industry is needed everywhere. The high point today is 560m - we walked by hamlets and crossed over the Rio Arga several times, stopped and took a break at Zuriain then continued to climb past an old abandoned quarry. We made it to Opcion. I was baked. Nothing worse than having to relieve ones self and there's no where to go but the woods. I guess I should have read that book "how to shit in the woods". 😂 It was a hard slog after lunch so hailed a taxi for the last 8km avoiding the hard city pavement. My foot appreciated the ride. We checked into Hemingway hostel at 2:15 and took a nap. Siesta time is between 4 and 6pm. I am needing a good nights sleep! We went out for pintxos and ran into some pilgrims. Gonna try and get some sleep! Off to Puete la Reina tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to go Joan! What is your total distance so far?
ReplyDeleteHey Mandy, 91.7km. Sure glad I have the UP poles to lean on!
DeleteWow! You go girl!
DeleteGood on you, taking care of that foot! Soon you will be able to sleep through anything...anyone calling you "Pilgrim" in a John Wayne voice? xoxox
ReplyDeleteNot yet, but someone likes to call me Brooklyn 😊
DeleteI was wondering how you were doing with your foot. I usually found it harsh doing the downhill bit. It sounds like you are still free of blisters. Smart thing taking a cab (or bus or train) when necessary. No extra bonuses at the end for doing it all by foot! Buen camino.
ReplyDeleteway to go ...
ReplyDelete