Tuesday, 27 September 2016

Castrojeriz to Fromista 26.1km



 Yesterday my sweet family came through, I love their support, and you dear friends your support means a lot to me too.  Gracias Amigos!  I went to dinner with Charles, Mark an Nicole their from Australia; Mark is on the Camino to lose weight and Charles is his walking partner an Nicole is Marks sister who has come to walk the Meseta with them.  We had the usual pilgrim menu; big ass plate of spaghetti and then roast chicken with fritas.  They serve everything with papa Frits.  My feet seem to work well when I walk but by God they hurt when I stop!  My word for today is fortunate! Because I was able to FaceTime my physiotherapist who gave me a few stretches and some rah rah you can do this.  My dear John who chatted with me and calmed me down and my sweet saucalita who sends me quotes and tells me not to cry!  She sent this picture sending me hugs and kisses.


I felt pretty good this morning; we left Castrojeriz 7:30am our usual time, still dark. We climbed onto the Meseta as the sun was rising, the Alto de Mostelares is at 1050m a 12% grade, and so what goes up must come down, funny watching everyone slalom poling down the other side, it's a knee saver.  We moseyed along the path for quite a while, we really didn't stop until Boadilla.  I decided I needed to stay standing so I ate my hard boiled egg and nuts along with a cold drink... Onward to Fromista another 5 km. We've crossed into another province, Provincia de Palencia, intense farming and a series of 18th century canals.  We all are sporting the Camino tan, left side much darker than the right ๐Ÿ˜Š. The last kilometres are always brutal, I plugged in and click clacked on.  We arrived at 2:30. I'm showered and organizing tomorrow's accommodations.  We will once again eat pilgrim food.  I'll be stretching and having a few cervazas.  Until Carrion de Los Condes ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‘ฃ๐Ÿ‘ฃ Buen Camino

9 comments:

  1. Such an emotional & physical journey you are on. Use the love and support from all of us as Wind Beneath Your Wings! Can't wait to hug you at the finish line. Love you much muchly little sister ❤❤❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raye, it's a hard road... I to look forward tonight's hug!

      Delete
  2. Oh you bring back the memories. It's funny though -- now at home the memories that are the strongest are the ones where "my family" and I laughed and cried together. The slogging part is very distant. I don't know if you will be spending the night in Carrion. I did the pilgrim's blessing there and bawled my eyes out along with many others. Maybe we'd reach the cracking or turning point but it did get easier. One thing I must tell you even though you're still a "bit" away is a restaurant in Leon called The Albany -- kiddy korner from the cathedral. Best meal ever. Several of us went 2 nights in a row. I'll tell you about the bagel breakfast place in Leon next posting. One step at a time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie,

      Yes we will be in Carrion tomorrow night, staying at hostel Santiago, a triple room. I will be taking a train from Sahagun to Leon in a couple of days and I sure could use a decent meal! Cheers Joan

      Delete
  3. ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐Ÿท๐Ÿ˜‡

    ReplyDelete
  4. Admitting that I've been a bit lost for words. I like Raye's and your friend Maggies posts. Reminders of your support and things you can look forward to. Each day, I wake up out of my comfy bed, drink my coffee and read your posts and grow more in awe of you and your trip. We are busy sawing logs in the wee hours of the night and at those times your climbing or descending mountains and everything else you are experiencing. Sending you hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just call me crazy. Those words of encouragement help a lot. When I awake there is a message for me and I try and remember that as I walk the way.

      Delete
  5. So much enjoying reading your posts at breakfast every day. Well, almost every day. Today I re-read your post from yesterday. What an adventure! Keep on persevering, JoanDeCamino!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad your feet are surviving! We had such fun Taking pictures, it really felt like you were with us ❤❤ love you and can't wait to hear about that great meal in Leon coming up!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.