Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Up and over the Pyrenees into Spain




Orisson to Roncesvalles

Wow -  what a day.!  We had a lovely communal dinner; soup, roast chicken, veggies, bread, dessert and unlimited amounts of red wine.  I only had 2 glasses since I had a very big climb ahead of me. Orisson is at 800 m and we climbed to the summit, Lepoeder at 1400m  then down to Roncesvalles at 1000m.  After breakfast of bread & jam and a big bowl of coffee we were ready.  The climb seemed easier than the day before maybe because of the grade but a longer distance.  It was clear and very windy.   Probably blowing 45 if not more. When I mention "we"  that's Virginia and me.   She's from Montreal and traveling on her own.  I met her on the train from Bayonne. The views are like walking in postcards.  Very picturesque - wild horses, lots of black faced sheep, white cows and hill tops and more hill tops.  The last few km of the day was the hardest.  We arrived in the Valley of Thorns at 3pm.   The monastery has about 200 beds!  It was full by 6pm and they were sending pilgrims to further destinations.  The pilgrim's office in SJPDP has been processing 500 pilgrims a day.  So it appears there will be a bed race tomorrow.  I had a beer with my trout and Frits dinner, then went to mass and received the pilgrim's blessing.  Then it was off to bed. I say bed because that 200 bed dorm is exactly like the one Martin Sheen stayed in, in "The Way".  Not much snoring but the bright lights turned on every two hours and then zombie bathroom walkers thumping up and down the long halls and  slamming doors.  The lights were turned on at 6am and the bed race is on. 21km hike to Zubiri.

9 comments:

  1. The the first two days sound awesome. I'm loving reading your daily adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my hero! Love your descriptions...makes us feel like we're there without the pain...sending energy and love xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what an adventure! Love you miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for you! Missed you at the beach but kept you close the whole time! Adelante Chica. 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  5. Momma Joan...you are kind of AMAZING! You should write a book. You are brilliant. Keep up the good work and don't get into the bagged wine. Ha ha! Missing you like crazy. Every time I read your posts, it brings tears to my eyes. P.S. YOU ARE A BABE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. with you all the way ... such an adventure

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go Joan! You are an UP hero! Wish I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like that valleys and hills in life :-) This is an awesome picture and you're looking great! xo's to you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.