Was a beautiful morning! I peaked my head out the window and saw the moon as dawn was breaking. We headed out at 7:30. The first section has steep climbs to 3 hilltop villages before descending in to Estella. We passed farmland and vineyards. I was going to take a close up of the grapes but when I stepped off the path I sunk up to my ankle in red clay. 😱 Dang! I didn't need any more weight. Cirauqui is a medieval hilltop village with narrow winding streets and lots of houses with crests. It sits at 500m. I think every village is built on a hill because years ago they needed to see their enemys coming. Then it was on to Lorca. The walk is a lot of heads down; watching your step; when I did lift my head I saw almond and olive trees, wild blueberries and blackberries too. I stopped in Villatuerta to confirm our beds since they were only keeping the reservation until 3pm. The hosperila told me not to worry. So we walked on and reached our destination at 3:30 just in time for the rain. Got into my room and showered and had a quick nap. At dinner we saw 3 Canadian women. They are from Nanaimo. One knows Mark and Donna. Her name is Susan and said her daughter and Jeremy were good friends in elementary school. She also lived on Strathmore. Her maiden name is Susan Bull and she knew Bonnie Sekora. I'm thinking that Raye might remember her. We had a nice pilgrim meal and now I'm off to sleep. It's 8:30pm - it was a long day! Heading to Los Arcos another big early morning climb - 690m.
This is a great picture! Very happy to hear you dodged the rain today. Have a great evening, xo's!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jude
DeleteWhat a small world. Who would have thought you'd travel all the way to Spain to meet up with someone who knows your family.
ReplyDeleteYa it was pretty weird
DeleteYes the Bull family lived two doors down and Bonnie and I played sports through school together. Can't wait to see all the photos along the way! BTW Team Canada men's hockey kicked butt today 6-1! Just thought you'd be anxiously waiting for that bit of news lol! xoxo
ReplyDeletesheesh, that was 6-0!!
Delete