Friday, 23 September 2016
Villafranca Montes de Oca to Burgos
It's 8:15am, I sitting here waiting for the bus along with about 10 others. My feet need a break so I'll be taking it easy these next few days. I've booked Hotel Jacobeo for two nights. Really looking forward to not sleeping in a room of 20. Maybe a nice set of sheets and a good pillow will lift my spirits. I'm excited to tour the cathedral de Santa Maria XIII, apparently one of the most beautiful in Spain. El Cid and his wife Jimena lie under a huge star lantern at the heart of the cathedral. Hotel San Anton Abad is probably the best Alberque so far. The meal was very good; spaghetti with tomato sauce, pork ribs, tiramisu and vino tinto was my choice. The pilgrim menu has about 5 main choices. Had a night cap in the bar and was in bed around 9pm. It was a single bed with pony walls so a bit of privacy, the bed squeaked when you moved; just imagine; 20 people snoring and when they move the bed squeaks 😜 maybe they designed the squeaking beds to mask all the night noises LOL! It's surprising how many pilgrims walk in the dark, they try an creep out around 5:30, it's not light till about 7:45, some are walking 40 & 50 kilometres a day, not sure the point in that, but each to their own. I met a couple from Georgia and some how Raleigh, North Carolina was brought up and I was telling them about "Wagon Wheel" we racked our brain trying to figure out the musician, we settled on Darius Rucker. That song puts a lump in my throat! Be missing my man! Just gotta walk 540 more Kilometers. It's grey, cool and misty this morning. In Burgos, just came from mass and now heading out for vino Tinto and food. Yeah two days off! 👣👣👣👣👣👣
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So glad to hear your tootsies and you have a two-day break! Also great that you'll spend time away from the 20-person Alberque's! :-) x's and o's !
ReplyDelete