I had a little while before heading to the Paris Montparnasse train station so I headed over to Jardin du Luxembourg for a stroll; it was first created in 1612 by Maria de' Medic, the widow of king Henry the IV for their new palace the Luxembourg. It's now occupied by the French senate which explains the machine gun toting guards.
I've been reading Hemingway's a Movable feast and these are the gardens he met Miss Stein in. I could have walked to the station but thought I might get lost in the maze of narrow Paris streets so I took at 23 euro taxi ride. I was an hour early as I wanted to get my bearings, probably knowing a few French words would have come in handy. I noticed that lots of people were standing around the departure sign.
It took me a few minutes to realize they were waiting on the voie number. I had the train number but had no idea where it might be.. When the number in the voie column flipped to reveal what gate your train was at people started to scurry. I waited for my train voie # to be revealed and then set off for that platform. Ok, got the location of the train but what car and what seat? Using my observation skills I noticed that voiture must be train car. I found that on my ticket voiture 09 - place 62. Now I'm thinking I might be getting smart like Jackie π lol. Lifting my pack onto the shelf way above my head was challenging. Being short has its drawbacks. A young man got on in Bordeaux St. Jean and remarked that it was a terrible place. I'd noticed he had the Outdoor Camino guide book in his pack, the German equivalent or better of Brierleys. He asked if I spoke French - he had no clue either. I just told him I was listening for my stop. He introduced himself as Toby from Germany. He told me that he'd been on a two week bike ride with his best friend and all he saw was his buddies ass end, so by walking the Camino he might see something else π. He's 26 years old, teaching in a catholic school who's mom is worried about him. "Tobias must you walk 800km in 5 weeks"?. We discussed our options; train, bus, mule and had a good laugh. We wished each other well. I used Siri to help me find my lodging in Bayonne. It's right across the street from a charcuterie shop with a French pig painted on the wall. Making my way to the train station and off to SJPDP. It's very hot and I'm sweaty! Let the Camino begin!
Buen Camino! ❤❤
ReplyDeleteYou rock girl! That mama will be thrilled to know her son has met a fellow safe traveller ❤π»❤π»❤
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete☀️π£π£π£πΆπΆπΆπ·
Deletebuen Camino
ReplyDelete