Monday, 12 September 2016

St Jean Pied de Port to Orisson




John Brierley's  guide book says 8 km, but my fit bit says 12km... I'm going with the Fitbit!  It was a spectacular climb; we passed white cows, I think they're Charlemagne, donkeys, horses.  When we stopped for a break and there was many, we looked back and OMG it was so beautiful. It's 32* friggin hot! Virginia and I are so happy we booked Orisson.  I think we climbed to 800 m!  Feeling very emotional, maybe it's the exhaustion or I'm just so thrilled to finally be walking my Camino.  We headed out at 8:20 and arrived at our destination just after 1pm.  Checked in and then had a dirty beer and a ham and cheese sandwich. A dirty beer is a beer before you shower all that sweat off.  We got a token for a 5 minute shower.  I was able to wash myself and at the same time I put my stinky clothes on the floor and stomped on them.  At the movement they're hanging in the sun to dry.  At last nights Alberque they had a spinner that took out most of the water.  I rearranged my pack, brought way too much stuff and am now sitting outside enjoying the view and some quiet time.  It's another communal dinner tonight. I managed to snag another bottom bunk in a ten bed dorm.  Last nights sleep wasn't too bad.   I was awake between 2 'n 3.  Pretty sure I'll sleep better tonight. Tomorrow we have another big up hill day.   We will make the summit at 1400 m and then down into Spain to Roncevaux (that's the French spelling of Roncesvalles).

3 comments:

  1. Awesomeness!We here at the cabin are starting our mornings reading the blog. Watched The Way last night...Buen Camino 😙

    ReplyDelete
  2. such beautiful country around there ... happy trails 👣

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to hear you have a walking companion :-) Buen Camino 👣

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.