Thursday, 22 September 2016

Santo Domingo de la Calzada - Belorado. 23.9km (^300m + 1.5k)


We left before sunset.  It's cold enough to see your breath.  Most of today's walk was parallel to the A12; a big highway, lots of trucks.  They honked and waved when they saw pilgrims with their pants down squatting in the farmers field 😳.  I enjoyed walking past the fields of wheat, potatoes and other crops.  The sunflowers looked way past harvestable, but what do I know.  I'm not a farmer just a lowly pilgrim trudging along the gravel or tarmarc pathway making my way to the next bed and shower.  We passed several small villages which really helps break up the distance even though not many people live in them.  Most just service the pilgrims with family run Alberques and bars.  We had a cafe in Granon and a lunch break once we passed into the province of Castilla y Leon.  There is a lot of pilgrims with blisters and limps.  We are a sorry lot!

I secured a bed in Cuartos Cantones; the last Alberque in the village.  It's full because the owner drove up the pathway with cold water around 2:00pm advertising his business. I got a couple of San Miguel's  out of the vending machine and consumed them while sitting in the garden by the pool.  I called Kadi to wish her a Happy Birthday.  I was very emotional; it was lovely to hear her voice.  It was a communal dinner tonight.  Seems I'm liking ensalada mixta and roast pollo.  I must remember the fish is called merlu not piscado.  I was pretty bagged so was in bed around 9.  Today's walk will be short - 12km to Villafranca Montes de Orca.  Until next time.



Buen Camino. πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸ‘£

2 comments:

  1. Is that cross and rock pile one of significance to your collection of rocks? Love the stone hut...seems like dry dusty country. Buen Camino πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸ‘£

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I have 400km more to carry my rocks πŸ˜³πŸ‘£πŸ‘£πŸ‘£

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.