23.9km adjusted for the climb
After the crazy non sleep and bathroom zombies we had a ham, cheese and hard bread breakfast and then we were off. We'd heard that rain was in the forecast so I dug out my rain gear for future use. The path really reminded me of home; 83% of today's walk is in the woodlands, lots of shinrin yoku; Forest bathing. Anyways this stage leads downhill across the fertile plains of the rio Erro. After our coffee stop in Burguete we saw a beautiful rainbow and then it started to rain. It rained on and off through the first 900m climb. Lunch stop was in Viskarret, an Aquarius and two hard boiled eggs; no they were not 8 minute eggs but then a pilgrim gets what they are offered. Next climb was 820m to Alto de Erro. We could hear the thunder and then torrential rain. Unfortunately my sea to summit could not protect all from the rain but my stuff in my pack stayed dry so that's really all that matters. Virginia really wanted to take a taxi because she was worried that the alberque would give away our beds, so I agreed to the taxi in the next town but after the Alto, the taxi option was non existing. Only choice was all the way down into Zubiri. John Brierley says don't over extend yourself today! LOL ๐ he says close the gate and be careful of the steep decent into Zubiri. Bring on the thunder, bring on the rain... Exposed slippery rocks with the rain turns the dry dirt into mud. Thank God for those poles. I slipped only when I reached the very bottom of the 3.4km decent. We arrived in Zubiri 9 hours later drenched like wet rats and hoping the woman at the alberque kept our reservation. If not then Virginia said I'd have to find the next bed. We lucked out and we have a single bed each in a 8 bed dorm, I'm the only one that can't speak French. Yeah quiet time, I just did bunk bed yoga and wrote. When we went down to dinner we met many pilgrims we'd seen throughout the last few days. Most are women. How cool is that? Anyways - I ordered meat and I got pork ribs ๐ yeah me. My Spanish is paying off. Amazing dinner with everyone.. A mom, Loretta and daughter, Sharon from South Africa are walking together, Sharon is suffering from foot issues, so I offered to tape her, I'm hoping her walk tomorrow is easier. Seems walking on flat ground hurts the most. It's still raining and we have another 25km tomorrow. Apparently it's mostly flat. ๐
great reading ... hope today was not as wet ...
ReplyDeleteAs I read about your rain I remember my rain days out in the cockpit of the Nina Ellen! Nothing like rain to wash it all away! I'm wondering if you're eating enough...I'm hungry for you, lol xoxox
ReplyDeleteFrom blistering heat and then rain then add too many pilgrims - OMG. Your writings are awesome and it brings back a lot of memories. Sounds like your feet are doing well. I see you're doing the Aquarius and dirty beers. Look forward to the next update.
ReplyDeleteYour adventures are brave and amazing! Wishing you a Buen Camino for your next 25km! xo's
ReplyDeleteJoan I'm loving reading your blog. Thank you. Que te vaya muy bien maรฑana.
ReplyDelete