Friday, 16 September 2016
Pamplona to Puente la Reina
Feeling much better today. Thank you Imodium and Zantac. We bypassed walking out of Pamplona and started at Zariquiegui which is at the base of our first steep climb; It's through the middle of the wind turbines to Alto del Perdon at 750m. Had a snack from the food truck and took in the Beautiful views back over Pamplona and westward over the Arga valley. It was a pretty steep descent over boulders but I seemed to manage well enough. We walked through villages that seemed deserted. I'm thinking they were all at work in Pamplona. We arrived around 2:00 only to find there was no bed at the Alburque I'd emailed, so off to another. Fortunately we found a bed in Amalur, some grumpy woman checked us in and led us to our top bunk and handed us a paper sheet... I guess you don't get much for 10 euros. The shower was hot and they had a washer and dyer. I splurged as I'd been saving up my clothes. I guess that probably means I didn't need to bring that many clothing items. 😏 I haven't seen the bridge that this village is known for. We will pass over it on our way out. Had a nice dinner at the bar - spaghetti, chicken, fries (which I didn't eat) a couple of clean beers. We actually had enough energy to stroll around and take a few pictures before we ended up back at the bar for a couple of vino tintos. Apparently it might help me sleep better. Pretty sure my body wonders what has happened to all that boxed wine I'd been consuming. I spent some time looking for beds for the next couple of nights as there seems to be a bed race here on The Way. Lovely bartender called ahead and secured us a couple of beds in Estella and I found one in Los Arcos so we can take our time walking as the next few days are 23.5kms with elevation gains around the 600 - 700 meters. It's cool, hopefully no rain in the forecast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
thinking of you
ReplyDeleteYikes -- sounds like beds are at a real premium. I certainly didn't experience that. IMO, keep on taking a taxi or short bus ride to avoid the cement/asphalt roads leading into/out of major towns. It makes all the difference. You are doing great!!
ReplyDeleteIt's a pain in the ass, but we've getting it figured out, so many pilgrims! Long days!
ReplyDelete