Wednesday, 21 September 2016

Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada 22.8km (^300m + 1.5 km)


We walked back towards the river and found lots of pilgrims sitting around eating and drinking and swapping stories of the 30km walk.  I ordered pasta and shared a bottle of Valetin Pascual.  My pasta took forever to arrive, but Toni from Mexico chewed on the waiter and viola I got my pasta!  I hope to run into her again.  She was teaching me how to swear in Spanish 😊.  Slept pretty good.  We were up and on the way before sunrise.  We walked mostly on wide country tracks and gently undulating paths through farmland.  It looks like we've left wine country. I walked with Gaye from Australia for about 8 km.  She has bronchitis and her walking partner was pissed at her because she snored all night πŸ’€πŸ’€.  It's amazing what people talk about.  She was so happy that I told her that it was a lovely idea for her daughter to want to join her for a week.   We passed through a town called Ciruena; very eery,  the village is ready for a Hitchcock movie.  Strange thing - it had a lovely looking golf course.  I used the pack transfer service again today.  It seems to help take the weight of my foot; I figure if I have to limp across EspaΓ±a I don't need to carry my pack.  I need energy to see the town once I get there!  We made good time today.  I actually passed some pilgrims 😊.  We made it to our destination at 1pm.  We're in a 211 bed Alberque Casa de la Cofradia del Santo.  It's garden has a chicken coop and this is the village with the chicken in the church.  It's  funny to watch people - they're sniffing gonch and armpits of their clothes.  Hell I only wash my clothes every other day; when I smell my funk as I'm walking down the road it's time to do the washing 😜. I went to the cathedral with the chickens and up the bell tower.  Had a really great cena with some fellow pilgrims; Toni and Glenn from the USA and Trudy from New Zealand.  We are into another province tomorrow and heading to Belorado, 24km with the elevation.


4 comments:

  1. Good for you deciding on the pack forwarding. You'll find it makes a helluva difference. I don't know who you are using for this service but I remember there were 2 or 3. The one with the fellas name (Carlos, Bud, etc.) was the cheapest -- half the price of Jackotrans -- if things haven't changed. I just checked my notes and my walk from Logrono was the longest one I did too -- 34.6 kms. Must have been the area where there was "nothing" for about 17kms? Let me know if you want to forward stuff to Santiago from Burgos via the "correos" and I can give you Ivar's info.
    Really enjoying your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie, that pack transfer is saving my butt! It's the cheaper of the 3 or 4 services 5 e We are in Belordo tonight. Short day tomorrow then Burgos on Friday.

      Delete
    2. I tell you -- it was the way to go for me. It saved my butt and allowed me to sightsee more also. 5euros is nada. Enjoy Burgos -- lots to see and do. Will you spend a couple of nights and rest up a bit? I got a real room!! Great place to browse.

      Delete
  2. Love the picture of the winding road and pilgrims trudging along 😁 xox

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.