Monday, 26 September 2016
Hornillo to Castrojeriz 21km
I took a small walk around Hornillo; I needed to check out the Fuente del Gallo, I'm a sucker for anything that has a Chicken. This little town is a classic pilgrim village and not much has changed over the past centuries. The Alberque served paella, I'll say not my favourite, the green salad and bread were good. I was again in a 10 bed room, the bunk beds squeaked and the lights from the Calle never dimmed. There was a couple of women, who sat on their bunk and stared at me all night 👀 wtf!
It's been a tough day. My word for to day is perseverance. This is no walk in the park, the ground is hard, I guess I should be thankful the weather was cooperative. It was a gentle climb back onto the Meseta, then a steep descent to San Bol; apparently the waters from the well are said to have healing properties that cure aching feet. I hope so my feet ache. We stopped in Hantanas for a cold drink an bite to eat, then it was 6km along a goat tract where there was way to much human waste, the path was littered with toilet paper; man pilgrims are pigs. Read the book "how to shit in the woods". I put my ear buds in as I needed something else to think about. We wondered down the road until San Anton came into view. It's an ancient monastery and hospice of the Antonine Order founded in France in the 11th century. Very cool spot. A couple clicks down the road and we are in Castrojeriz home of the church of our lady of the apple. Our Alberque is again one of the last in the town. It's new and has a nice feel, but again I messed up the bag transfer so here I sit waiting. Wish me luck that it arrives and the thieves don't charge me another 25 euros. I've been away 2O days, I'm missing my people. When I realized my bag hadn't arrived I just wanted to cry, apparently I need to call this company for pick up, the one I'd been using before Burgos was way simpler, you filled in the ticket and put your bag at reception and viola it was at my next destination. Feeling much better, I've had a couple of beers with some pilgrims and I'm going to meet them for dinner...they told me not to cry. So I won't!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Way to stick at it, Joan!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mandy, inch by inch it's a synch!
Delete“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward” --Martin Luther King.
ReplyDeleteDon't cry...just keep moving forward <3 Love you to the moon and back. Missing you tons.
😍 me loves you
DeleteYou're doing awesome Joan. I don't remember having that much trouble with the pack being forwarded. I seem to remember asking the albuerge owner to take care of it for me but maybe it's much busier now and they don't offer that up. Good luck on the meseta -- I found it a bit mind numbing after the first 4 or so
ReplyDeletedays and that's when I took a train into Leon from Sahagun and spent 2 restful days there as well. Buen camino!
I'm thinking that's a fine idea! Couple more days and then a train 🚝🚌 anything the foot power
Deletethinking of you ...
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great Joan! Looks like I'll be stepping onto the camino with our little project somewhere between Sarria and Santiago, probably on Oct 13 or 14. I'll keep you posted!
ReplyDeleteThat sounds exciting, can't wait to hear more.
DeleteFollowing along with you every day! What you,ve accomplished is amazing! Adelante chica!! Xo.
ReplyDeleteAw Donna, thanks. It's hard
DeleteA little more on the forwarding of packs that is now coming back to memory: what I remember doing is filling out the envelope with name and next destination (albergue name + village) with the money inside and leaving my pack with the others waiting to be picked up. It always worked. Once I forgot to pay and they left me a message on the tag (they delivered it) and I put double in the next time. I hope you have better luck with it.
ReplyDelete