Saturday, 8 October 2016

Ponferrada - Cacabelos 16km



We left quite late this morning, 9am.  I didn't get much sleep in the snoozaryum.  I was also having some trouble with the bank machine, it wouldn't give me any euros. The Camino is cash based, so one needs a pocket full.


It was a pretty easy walk out of town, I met a few pilgrims I'd seen along the way.

  That's always nice to see a familiar face, even if you don't really know them.  I didn't stop until I'd walked 7.5km, I think I just wanted to get moving.  I passed small chapels and old tired vineyards. I stopped at Fuentes Nuevas for a cold drink.  Janis seemed to think I was moving to quick so I stopped at a wine Cooperativa Vinas Del Bierzo and had a glass of vino tinto and a tapa. That was around noon.

I think I'll stick to the no alcohol before the days walk is done, as it seemed to slow me down even more. We reached Cacabelos just before two.  It was another sunny hot day in Spain.  When I left Ponferrada at 9 it was 20 degrees, so as the day progressed it must have reached 26.  This is another medieval town and it has such charm.  After a good snooze, I showered and joined Janis in the square, she was 4 deep and sitting with a fellow from the Basque Country, he's a musician who plays a rustic flute.  He has been entertaining the square for hours.  Kathy from  Tsawwassen is staying at the same Alberque, such a small world.  Until tomorrow
 Buen Camino my friends 👣👣👣👣

5 comments:

  1. The last picture you posted -- is that where you stayed? I did and had my first taste of camino pulpo (octopus) there. Not far now! When are you meeting hubby and friends in Santiago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maggie, yes we are staying there, I too had my first pulpa tasting. It's less than 200km. I meet up with John, Raye, mike & Jackie on the 19th. I'm just planning my approach. It was a beautiful afternoon here. I really like staying in the smaller villages

      Delete
  2. Adding to the adventures (eating octopus) :-)
    Less than 200 km - yay! Have a great (hopefully rain-free) day. 👣 xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. the end is in sight ... only 10 days to go ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had the sunshine...dark and wet here. I know what you mean about familiar faces that you don't know as Kadi and I had the same experience down under with travellers, it brings a smile 😀 Buen Camino 👣👣👣 xox

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.