Friday, 7 October 2016

El Acebo - Ponferrada 19km


We were served a nice cena, I had salad and spaghetti carbonara and ice cream an vino tino of course.  We had a fabulous view from our deck.  Once the sunset I went to bed.

We were up at 6:30, but didn't strike out till daylight, it's hard enough walking on a goat trail, I didn't think I needed the extra challenge.

Our first stop was in this pretty little mountain town, with over hanging balconies and beautiful flowers; Riego de Ambros would be a sweet romantic getaway!


We continue down the goat trail, lots of slate, and boulders to navigate.. I'm thankful we had another sunny day.  Today when pilgrims passed me I greeted them with baa, instead of the usual Buen Camino.  They just laughed, some hugged me too.  I'm not sure what sound a goat makes but it was pretty funny.   After 4.7km we cross over the Puente de Peregrinos into Molinaseca.  The bridge is amazing.  It was about 11ish and I was getting hambre.  I spied a sign advertising a bacon, eggs and beans desayuno for 4 euros.  It's probably the best food I've had yet and the setting was magical.

Onward to Ponferrada about another 8kms, it was a hard walk, mostly on pavement, the rest on dusty tracks.  When I finally reached  Av. Del Castillo I was delighted to see the Castillo de los Templarios, the magnificent 12th century Templar castle.  I ran into Kelly and we walked to Albergue Guiana and got checked in.

I really wanted to go back to the castle, so after I found a bank machine I went back and found a bar across the street so I could have a cerveza  and admire the view.  It opened a 6pm, Kelly an I decided we needed to go tour it, this is her first time in Europe too!
I'm back at the Albergue, showered an hanging out in the common room.  My dogs are tired so I think I'll take it easy.  It's a short walk tomorrow 16km to Cacabelos.  I need to figure out my timing so I can be coming into the square in Santiago so that my people will be.  Geez, writing that must mean I'm actually gonna make it to Santiago!

3 comments:

  1. I remember that nasty goat path. I almost lost my balance about 6 times -- so thankful for the poles. I'm happy that you got good weather for this part. Your photos bring back soooo many good memories. Buen camino Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! Good laugh at the "baaah'ing" at passerbys :-) (that goat trail is not for the meek or timid - high five!!) Pictures and you and the bacon and eggs look/sound fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is a castle!! So glad you took a tour...gonna be a time when your people greet you in the square...I feel the pull 😙 and how cool that it's only a short 16km tomorrow 😄😄😄
    Buen Camino 👣👣👣

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.