Thursday, 20 October 2016

Lavacolla - Santiago 12km


I sat around most of the afternoon wondering what to do with myself, Lavacolla is small with two bars and a restaurant.  My accommodation isn't anything to write home about either.  I cleaned up then headed for the bar looking for food.  One was closed and the other said the kitchen was closed.  I ordered a vasa of vino Tinto and sat in the sun listening to a pilgrim play his guitar.  John, Raye Mike 'n Jackie called me to clink glasses and chat.  The only other option for food was the restaurant.  San Paio wasn't serving dinner until 7:30, more wine and potato chips held off the hunger.

As dinner was being announced in walked Kathleen 'n Jessica.  We sat at a table for 4, Patrick from France joined us, he's walked the Camino 4 times.  Only once from SJPDP though.  There was the menu del dia or ala carte.  After looking at the ala carte  I chose the safest one, I wasn't brave enough to order the meat mud!  I had the soup and boiled meat with fried potatoes 😏  by the time I get home it will almost be 2 months since I've used a kitchen.


I didn't head out until after 9, since I only had a short walk and my people weren't getting in Santiago until 3ish.  It was uphill to Villamaior, I stopped in at San Marcos and had me some handmade banana cake and a cafe.  There was a mom n pop souvenir stand next door, it was only 10am so more time wasting was needed.  I dressed up as a pilgrim 😄 and bought a few trinkets.



Off to Monte Del Gozo, it overlooks the city and has 400 or more pilgrim beds, glad I didn't stay in the snoratorium on my last night on the Camino.  I stopped in the tiny chapel of San Marcos before I headed into the city.

I arrived at noon, still too early so I got my glasses fixed and found a bar to sit in just outside the Praza Obradoiro.  I had a few beers and chatted with an American who was singing Donald's praises, she was a conspiracy theorist and despised Hillary.  I had enough of that and went out to sit in the sun and await my people.  I ran into Kelly.  She had finished two days ago and she was heading to London to meet her husband.  I told John to listen for the bagpipes cause that's where I'd be.  As I was chatting with Kelly my people arrived.  What a site for my sore eyes.


We all had our sunglasses on so you didn't see the tears.  I said my goodbyes to a few pilgrims then we (Me John, Raye & Jackie) went through the tunnel, passed the piper and into the square.


We found Mike sitting at a corner bar, he'd was securing our accommodations. Let the party begin!  A few rounds of beers, olives and potato chips later we headed to our apartment.  Kathy came over and we consumed more libations.  At some point we went and found some food.  Some good some not. Until I check in to the pilgrim office to receive my Compostela - Buen Camino.



5 comments:

  1. that picture of you an john brought tears to my eyes amazing love to you both love mamma I have been out and rubbing your shell each day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on ya! I did send you an email but had to do a final congrats on your blog. Well done indeed. You'll have sooo many memories to reflect on. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Joan!!! You trekked across a country you've never been in before and on your own. You did it with bravery, persistent and some humor mixed in :-) Now you can put those feet up and relax. No more snoratoriums, rats in walls and goat trails. You've had great adventures too but very stoked for you to enjoy your time now. We're with you here - on your blog (over 4000 views) and in spirit. Hugs - xo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Joan. Keen to hear your overall feelings about your experience. Would you do it again? What next? But in the mean time, enjoy your family time and put your feet up a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.