Oh what a night, after having thanksgiving dinner at the Refugio Vegetariano we headed back to our parish Albergue. It's been renovated by the German Confraternity, it sits on a beautiful piece of land, park like with a church. The snoratorium sleeps 66 in bunk beds, 4 to a cubical. Janis was trying to play the old card and wanted bottom bunks. I says no worries I'll take the top. These bunk beds might have had 2 1/2' between the top n bottom. When I sat on the bottom bunk the springs from the top pulled my hair out. π³ I climb up into my snore shelf and I am now lying in a indentation in the middle of the bed. Hmm guess I won't fall out. I'm just settling in and the snoring starts. The German woman in the lower bunk has a horrendous cold and should have been handing out disposable surgical masks. Or perhaps checked into a single room. Anyways along with her nasty coughing she snored worse than my dad did. I actually had to get out my ear plugs, there was at least a dozen others too. In the morning I found it quite hard not to sneer at her.
On another note I've been taking an anti inflammatory in the middle of the night, so I had prepped my dose and snack, that means I took them out of the noisy wrappers. Along comes midnight and I take the pill and eat the snack, I munching as quietly as I can but notice some thing is rather hard in my musli bar, it's a fucking euro that must have been loose in my bag. π³ geez I'm glad I didn't swallow that.
We headed out around 7:45; it's dark and we've got rocky hills to climb. 2.3 k and we pass a tiny hamlet, we continue to climb another 1.1km until we reach the marker advising us we are leaving Castilla y Leon and entering Galicia in the province of Lugo.
We climb higher and reached O'Cebreiro, which is the final resting place for Don Elias Valina Sampedro, he's the priest who invented with the yellow arrow starting in 1984. We stopped for a cafe, it's evident that the tours start here, big buses dropping off people who walk a few kilometers and then get back in their bus. Oh well I knew it was gonna start soon.
We took a wrong turn, well we fallowed someone (dumb idea) and ended up on the road. After about 1/2 k I said hmm lets go back, I can't walk the road. It was foggy and cold and the traffic was whizzing by. Back up the hill we we found the arrow. To our surprise we were still going up before dropping into Linares. We walked beside the main road before we climbed to Alto do Poio. 3.3 Kms down the path we reached our Albergue. The rain has started and it's cold. So happy to be inside contemplating my next move. Until then, Buen Camino π£π£π£π£
good morning daughter dear what excitement for you. I tried to text you before but raye has me okay now.all is well here will be happy to see you home love mom.
ReplyDeleteThat's right mamma, one big adventure...
DeleteGood morning! It's a lovely sunny, frosty day here...glad you got Thanksgiving dinner...you were included in our dinner as we discussed your trek. Tevis loves that you're doing this, state you are going to do something and then actually do it! She wants you to know she is thinking of you and that you are the bravest!! Love that view of the valley, it goes on forever. I'm officially on holidays and packing...gonna see you real soon π Buen Camino π£π£π£π£ xoxo
ReplyDeleteHow exciting, Aunty!! You must be getting pumped :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DeleteI sure am Emily! It's been too long since I've been in the air π
DeleteAh, that's kind of you... I'm glad you had a wonderful thanksgiving and that Tevis she thinks I'm brave...
Deletebuen camino ... π£π£π£☀️☀️☀️ππΎ
ReplyDeleteare you still wanting to walk the Camino?
DeleteHi there Joan. Great pictures. You're looking relaxed and comfy in that hammock. I fixed a blog glitch but now have more. I sure hope to fix them! Have a great evening. Count-down is on --- not too many more snoratoriams :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks Jude! The count down is on... Unfortunately rain for the next 10 days. Welcome to Galicia!
DeleteAlmost there -- can you feel it!! I repeat -- this was my favourite part of the camino. Could walk for hours and not know where you are as there are so few signs and very small hamlets. Maybe the cow shit isn't so prominent at this time of year but if it is you'll love it when you come to the eucalyptus groves. You're not far from Sarria -- then the hordes start!! Buen camino.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I would have been able to handle that snoozaryum...bahaha. I'd probably have stuffed that euro right into her mouth.
ReplyDeleteMissed you so much on Thanksgiving, Momma Joan! Although, I had a beautiful Lodge-giving with my Lodge family and best friends <3 Loving you from home xoxo
That lady has a reputation, and you thought I snored π Three hamlets latter she's got pilgrims checking into private rooms! Baahaaa
DeleteAlready wear earplugs, and that's at home...noisy owls and ducks outside on the slough. Catching up on your travels..... Buen Camino!
ReplyDeleteI would love to hear owls n ducks.. Love the roosters and song birds but not 15 pilgrims grunting and snoring! If your still considering walking the Camino, go walking on the beach stones at centennial every day for a month in bare feet!
DeleteI hadn't seen your posts for a few days, we've been doing a few day trips and moving from city to city. This one made me laugh, I'm sure you didn't find it funny at the time but you sure made it funny in the reselling.
ReplyDeleteYes, your right a few days later it's hilarious! But I did see her today and I am thankful she didn't like our artist quarters....... She's got herself a reputation on the Way.......
ReplyDelete