Saturday, 15 October 2016

Hospital de la Cruz - San Xulian do Camino 16.9km

Every day since St. Jean Pied de Port I have noticed a piece of green glass, it's not sea glass but it reminds me of Raye, it's like it's been planted there to help me when my body is weary, cheering me on, walk this way.

When I went into the bar I heard someone say they recognized my voice, it was Kathleen an her daughter Jessica, they were having a bite to eat before walking another 14km.  😱 Kathleen has some nasty blisters, she showed me a picture. Yuk, it was infected and thank GOD I couldn't smell it!  😳 Anyways I got my first aid kit and gave her the iodine, sterile wipes and some band aids.  I suggested she drain it asap, perhaps see a doctor too.  I'm amazed she can walk.  Actually I'm pretty surprised at the amount of pilgrims pushing through their pain, be it feet, knees or blisters.  The Camino is a tough trek.    Not sure my feet will ever forget all the stones I've walked over!


We had dinner with a couple that we've seen along the way, an Australian woman who was lamenting on the hot weather back home, a German fellow and one from the Chec Republic who had just become a great grandfather 3 hours prior.  Last night I had macaroni, fried chicken, green salad and a banana.  It was good conversation and good vino.  Tonight they say the second course is two meats, oh boy I wonder what parts of the animal will grace my plate tonight!


Last nights accommodation didn't disappoint.  We struck out a 7am.. It had rained heavy all night but the sky was clear although windy.  We walked the first 1.4km in the dark which is always fun trying to find the way markers.  I had a cafe in Ventas de Naron, where I met a young Italian who was on crutches do to tendinitis, he was told to rest for a couple of days but he opted not to.  He was walking 50km, how crazy is that.  The weather was pretty good, the track was favorable too.  But we have a major rain advisory for the next couple of days. 🌧🌧🌧

San Xulian do Camino is a classic Camino village, it's got great atmosphere so that makes me happy.  It's another 17km tomorrow to Castaneda. 👣👣👣👣 until then Buen Camino


6 comments:

  1. Love that piece about the green glass and that's def something I want to do, find a piece, maybe in Portugal 😁 Amazing the pain people have, and what they push through...one more sleep till ✈ time 👏👏👏

    ReplyDelete
  2. so happy to see you using your poncho . the joy of being all to gether at the finish line will be exiting. got your post card today love mamma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it a little bit weird when you reached the 100km marker and you think "wow -- only 100kms more to go". Most people would still think that is nuts!! Hope you are enjoying Galicia. Buen camino -- not many more days left to say it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures again! I like the café; is that money in the frames?

    We are getting ready for typhoon Songda (rain coming described as "atmospheric river"). Yikes.

    PS - your blog is nearing 4,000 page-views!

    Buen Camino, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should go for a 17km hike in that typhoon and yes that is money in the pictures

      Delete
  5. Typhoon Songda did not make much of an appearance here at all! Just a bit windy around 7:30. 20,000 people around Nanaimo without power though, but we were ok. Happy trails to you - days away from being done your Camino!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.