Saturday, 1 October 2016



Evening in Sahagun

Jennifer an I headed out to a little bar that had maple leaf trees to shade us from the Spanish sun.  I had a San Miguel and they served us these delicious green olives.  When we got back to our room we had a new bunk mate, Nellie, I met her about 5 nights ago, we had a good chat an talked about walking on.  It's been fun to cross paths.  I attended the mass, my goodness those nuns are so old, it was interesting to watch.  There was two youngish ones, one was yawning, the other one was itching her head constantly, the older ones helped each other find their pages, they looked to be about 90.
 We ate dinner and that will be the last time I eat a pilgrim meal, it was bloody awful, 1st we were served about 3 cups if not 4 of penne with a little bit of tomato sauce, then came the entree, a piece  of ham the size of a playing card, a mound of fries and 3 fried croquettes that the filling was a mystery.  Pretty sure I got my salt intake for a month or two; oh and warm banana yogurt.  At least the sisters brought us an extra bottle of vino to wash it down.  I'm not trying to be ungrateful but geez where is the vegetables, it's not like we're not walking through farming communities.

Leon via Renfe Coche 45 minutes = 57 km

I arrived at the train station beforehand sunrise, seems that's the norm.  Again there was quite a few pilgrims jumping stages or finishing their Camino an heading home.  What a beautiful blue sky day.  It was a quick ride into Leon, my Alberque is on the way but the train station was clear across town.  1\2 later walking against the yellow arrows I found Alberque Check in Leon, it opened in 2015.  Modern an clean but not near the old town.

 Once I check in I headed right back out to see some sites. I retraced the yellow arrows and found the Catedral, where I found all the fresh produce I've been missing.  I went into the plaza de San Isodoro Museo Panteon; for all you Monty Python and Indian Jones I saw the Holly Grail, and lots more medieval religious art and artifacts. Sorry no pictures, you'll have to come see for yourself.  I walked the streets but my feet were getting tired so I retraced my steps, stopped in at a fruit stand and picked up a couple of things for today an tomorrow.  Just going to relax an organize my next few days.



4 comments:

  1. Don't forget to eat at The Albany on the square where the cathedral is. Best meal ever and really well priced. We had a choice of 4 or 5 starters and same with the mains. We ate there both evenings. There is also a great little bagel place right across from the cathedral as well on the same side of the street but other end of the cathedral. Yummy toppings for the bagels and good coffee con leche. Damn--I wish I'd given you the name of the hotel I stayed in. Not too far from the train station and close to everything. It was called something like "Boadilla" as I always thought of the brekkie/lunch sandwich! Don't forget about the local bus that can drop you 5 or 7 km outside of Leon too. Enjoy days off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sahagun looks like a great place to explore. Are you staying there for a while? Have a great, restful weekend!, xo (I took my poles out yesterday and readjusted them. Seems I had them too high and found out they're actually comfortable :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was in Sahagun for a night, I'm not planning any rest days just shorter distances. 👣👣👣👣

      Delete
  3. such an adventure ... take care 🌞🍷☀️😎

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.